Skip to main content

Here's what a VPN can't protect you from (but you need to use it)

The abbreviation " VPN " has slowly become established among average Internet users, which is certainly good, but the problem is that people have started to see VPN as the ultimate solution to all problems.

X96 Mini Android TV Box Review

X96 Mini Android TV Box Review

I have already written an article about buying an Android TV Box for up to 30 euros, and now I am writing about one such device - the X96 Mini TV Box. There is not much to say about this device, its price is around 25 euros, it is an Android TV Box like any other, which means that it is powered by an Android system. Since I wrote about it in the previous article, I will not repeat myself.

These cheaper TV Box devices differ mainly only in the chip, amount of RAM, and ROM memory. In the previous article, I wrote about what to pay attention to when choosing, and I chose this device that way.

Specifications:

  • 1GB RAM
  • ROM 8GB
  • Amlogic S905W CPU chip
  • CPU specs 64bit 2.0 GHz Quad-Core
  • GPU Mali-450MP (Penta-core)
  • Android 7.1.2
  • Rooted
  • 5.1 Surround Sound
  • HDMI Version: 2.0
  • WiFi RTL8189

So, this is a 1/8 GB model, and there is also a 2/16 GB variant which is a bit more expensive. As you can see it has an Amlogic S905W chip which is definitely a plus and it is just a cheaper variant of the S905X chip. The only difference is that this one doesn't have 4K support at 60 FPS but only at 30 FPS, which doesn't matter to most users.

Another important item is that the system comes unlocked, ie. has Root! What does this mean? Root gives you full freedom over the system and you can use applications with additional useful features. Read what Root is in this article.

The package includes:

  • Android TV Box
  • IR remote
  • AC adapter (EU / US)
  • HDMI 2.0
  • IR extension cable
  • EN instructions
  • Self-adhesive wall bracket

This Box supports the following formats: H.264, H.265, HD MPEG4, RealVideo8 / 9/10, 1080P, 4K x 2K, DAT, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MVC, RM, VC-1, AAC, FLAC, MP3, OGG, RM, BMP, GIF, JPEG, TIFF.

So you can watch 4K too but I don't have a 4K monitor so I haven't tested it. At 1080p it works perfectly, it runs most games (I failed to play Real Racing 3 without braking).

From the connector there are:

  • TF slot (microSD)
  • 2xUSB
  • FLAX
  • 1xHDMI
  • IR receiver
  • AV output

Yes, it also has analog audio and video output so you can connect this Android TV Box to an older TV via 3 chinches, or SCART with the appropriate adapter.

Software

As I mentioned, it comes with an Android 7.1.2 system, which is commendable since rarely a cheaper Box has Nougat and 7.1.x version! As soon as I launched the device I got a new update for September, so Box is up to date and has good support.

The applications include Kodi (+ a bunch of add-ons, including Exodus), Miracast, some of their Launchers (which I immediately replaced with Nova), WiFi update, Update and Backup, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, and some other irrelevant ones. . I deleted most of them because I don't use them.

How to buy

You can follow THIS  or THIS manual, and the link to the device is: X96 Mini Android TV Box

Video

Below you can see the unpacking of the device, the contents of the box, the manual, and the interface of the device itself.

Update (February 17, 2018):

After several complaints, from the people who bought this device, that it brakes a lot and they have problems, I must mention that this is a device worth 25 euros. So, this is the cheapest thing that can be found without any specifications. For 25 euros, you can't and shouldn't expect an ultra-fast device that will work like the Galaxy S8. If you want a slightly faster device, and not so much more money, then consider a box of 2GB of RAM. I have been using this X96 Mini for a long time so that I can draw a conclusion, and in the conclusion, I can't write anywhere that it is so slow that it has to be disconnected from the power supply or "chop" games, movies, during work, etc. It serves very well for its price, I had no problems, the only drawback is that there is little waiting for the launch of applications/games. Movies in 1080p work perfectly, in 4K 30fps too, most games without "braking" (I didn't even try to test the most demanding ones), work, surfing, music, etc. works without any problems. If the device "brakes" and does not work properly, contact your dealer to have it replaced. Do not send negative comments and messages because you have high expectations for such a cheap device.

Comments

Popular this month

Samsung puts a camera under the screen - Notch is not needed!

Notch is the biggest flaw of smartphones today - period. For the vast majority of users, this is the main reason why they do not buy a phone, as well as for me. But Samsung has found a solution. True, Notch is only a transitional solution until companies find a way to place all the components on the front under the screen. Users demanded bigger and bigger screens, and smaller and smaller phones, so Notch was the only solution. Although it is present in many smartphones today, it is not generally accepted. Moreover, it is considered a flaw . Of course, the phone manufacturers told the story and tried to convince the users that Notch was ok, and many accepted that, and the others can't wait for that era to pass.

Count a bunch of items IN SECONDS with this AI app!

If you work often with a large number of stacked items (boards, pipes, boxes…) you probably count them often. When that crowd is bigger, counting can take time. The AI ​​application will come to the rescue, which will do the counting for you in a second!

Stremio - watch all movies and series with subtitles for free!

Stremio is a service that allows you to watch any movie or series completely free with subtitles in HD and FHD resolution on any device, even TV. How is it possible? It is a free program for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS that serves as a player to play video content from your computer. That’s all this program does and it’s completely legal.

Protect your Facebook account to the maximum

Although web browsers and antiviruses today protect us quite well from phishing, keyloggers, viruses, etc. many Facebook users are still facing hacked accounts . Most often, these are the mistakes of the users themselves, because they are not careful or simply do not know how to protect themselves. That's why I decided to write this article where I will explain how to protect your email and Facebook account, as well as the computer itself.

[Windows] How to create an invisible folder

At the time when I got my first computer, games weren't that popular, so we researched the system, and the whole computer in general (at least I did). After discovering something interesting, we try to use it to "challenge" each other.