Skip to main content

Here's what a VPN can't protect you from (but you need to use it)

The abbreviation " VPN " has slowly become established among average Internet users, which is certainly good, but the problem is that people have started to see VPN as the ultimate solution to all problems.

Galaxy S20 - impressions

Galaxy S20 - impressions

Update 2021: After several months of use, the phone showed that it has a factory defect. The problem is a poorly designed Exynos processor which is why it consumes a lot of electricity. As a result, the battery lasts only a few hours. Samsung did not want to admit the mistake and accept the warranty.

As I predicted two years ago in the article "Tips for buying a mobile phone", the Galaxy S20 is a phone that should be seriously considered and that I would probably buy.

I bought that phone but a little earlier than I thought.

The reason for the earlier purchase is that the Galaxy Note 9 phone annoys me too much because it has a fingerprint on the back. I thought I would get used to it in time, but I couldn't even after a year. Read the explanation in this article.

Note: Before I start, I want to mention that this is not a paid test. Also, I will not write the specifications (you can find them online) but my impression of the phone.

I hesitated though

I have long hesitated between the three models: Galaxy S10 +, Galaxy S20, and Galaxy S20FE.

I have long hesitated between the three models: Galaxy S10 +, Galaxy S20, and Galaxy S20FE.

It was true that the S20 is a "polished" version of the S10 model, but I did not anticipate that the S10 + version would appear.

Honestly, S10+ has been my first choice for a long time, but I didn't choose it for three reasons:

  • has two front cameras (I don't need any, so 2 is too many)
  • the phone is too big for my taste
  • expires soon and will not have a three-year update

Everything else was on par with the S20 in terms of functionality and options. But those three flaws were enough to deter me from shopping.

Then the S20FE (Fan Edition) model appeared and I took it seriously. It is not much worse than the S20, and it is a few hundred euros cheaper.

However, I did not choose the S20FE for 2 reasons:

  • dimensions and shape do not suit me
  • has an optical (not ultrasonic) fingerprint reader

First of all, the phone looks and feels like a Chinese one of 100 euros. For as much as it costs, I expected a little better quality of the case, feel, and design. And secondly, the optical fingerprint reader is not so safe and is put in cheap phones. The camera didn't impress me too much, although it doesn't matter that much to me.

What I like about the S20

I would immediately point out the design

This phone has a large enough screen for all occasions, and the case is quite small. As a result, we have a phone that can be used with one hand (which is a rarity today) and that has a large enough screen.

In addition, the phone is light enough and fits nicely in the hand. It's just that when you take the S20, you feel the quality at the same time and you know that's it. It is very well balanced, which is not the case with cheaper phones.

In addition, it is resistant to water and dust (IP68 - explanation) and has Gorilla Glass 6 protective glass. In addition, it comes with a protective foil that is barely noticeable (I didn't even know it was there for a long time).

Cameras?

Personally, I am against the idea of ​​installing more than one camera on the back of the phone, but I had to go over something.

This model has three cameras: a 12MP main one, a 64MP one for zooming, and another ultrawide.

Cameras?

As I mentioned, I don't like more than one camera, but if I had to choose, it would be the management of these three. I don't need macro and those depth cameras, these three are dark and are mostly used.

I don't have to write about the camera specifications, you can read them online. I can only say that it has EVERYTHING I need, it makes phenomenal pictures even at night, ultra stabilization, portrait mode… mostly: the ultimate camera for everyone's needs.

And yes, it also records in 8K.

Simplicity

I don't like phones that have too many details and additional options that no one will use daily - the so-called Gimmick options.

This phone offers only what one user needs and what they will use every day, or at least once a week.

One front camera, three hardware buttons, one port, stereo speakers, and SIM / SD card slot. That's it, simple and elegant.

Also in terms of software, OneUI is a simple, fluid, beautiful Android skin that receives regular updates. Samsung is making great efforts to tailor this skin to users based on their feedback.

They are currently working on changes to the interface so that the phones can be fully used with one hand.

By the way, if you haven't used a lot of Samsung phones lately, OneUI is designed to be identical to all Samsung phones. Some phones will have more and some fewer options, but that depends on the hardware capabilities of the phones themselves. So, if you switch from one Samsung phone to another, you will know everything.

Fingerprint reader

This phone (like the S10) has, in my opinion, the best fingerprint reader in the world - period. Why?

First of all, it is ultrasonic. This means that the phone cannot be unlocked by showing a picture of your fingerprint, but you need to attach a live original fingerprint - which only you can do.

The position of the sensor is in the ideal place: below the screen and where the thumb naturally stands while holding the phone.

Fingerprint reader

This means you don't have to lift the phone to unlock it, and you don't have to further position the phone in your hand to reach the sensor. You can unlock the phone while standing on the table or holding it in your hand - fantastic!

Eye and face pupils are also OK in terms of security, but in terms of user experience, they are hell. In either case, you must pick up the phone or lean towards it to unlock it. That's why I like that this phone doesn't have those sensors.

So this fingerprint is the best relationship between security and accessibility.

Screen

It is well known that Samsung produces the best screens in the world. Their screens are used by Apple and many other companies.

Certainly, Samsung puts the best of the best in their devices and sells something worse to others. That's why you will always see in tests that Samsung (especially Flagship) models have the best screens in the world.

This is no exception either, as the S20 has a 1440 × 3200 Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with a 120Hz refresh rate and HDR10+ technology. All the best on one screen.

Screen

The only drawback is that you can't use 120Hz together with 1440 × 3200 resolution, you have to lower it to 1080p. However, this is not a drawback but more protection for users because a high refresh rate of high resolution would drain the battery very quickly.

The rest

Those were some of the features that I liked the most about this phone, but it certainly has a lot more that completes the impression.

I would definitely single out the fact that the phone will get 3 (instead of 2) Android upgrades.

And I would like to point out that I like the fact that we sell Exynos and not the Snapdragon variant. I had the opportunity to test both and I can say, as always, that Exynos suits me better. Snapdragon I would choose to play games on the phone, but since productivity and multitasking are more important to me then I always choose Exynos.

What I don't like about the S20

This segment of the article will not belong because I don't like a little of it.

120Hz

Many convince me that once I switch to 120Hz I will not want to go back to 60Hz. Here I don't see a difference between 60 and 120Hz.

I turned on that option and the scrolling should be nicer and smoother, but I don't see any difference. I went back to 60Hz to save the battery.

By the way, it's not a problem with the phone because I tested phones with 90 and 120Hz and I didn't see a difference in any of the models.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this option is a drawback because it raises the price and consumes the battery, and it doesn't improve anything.

Bump

Ah, those cameras… The whole part where the cameras are located is raised more than it should be. I prefer the cameras to be flush with the case, but I am aware that this is no longer possible.

This bothers me because the phone shakes when I use it while it's on the table, and the whole part around the camera is scratched. Then I have to buy a cover that has protection for those cameras, which additionally adds thickness to the phone.

Conclusion

All in all, I had to make a few exceptions because, obviously, the perfect phone doesn’t exist.

For now, I am very satisfied with the phone and I believe that I will not change it for a long time.

Comments

Popular this month

How to download the complete FB profile

UPDATE: The article has been updated. Click here. You have probably heard these days that the hacker group "Anonymous" will crash Facebook on November 5, 2011, maybe it will, maybe it won't. If you want to save all your pictures and videos, etc. you can do it in a few steps.

Five wishes from Google

Google is under investigation for allegedly abusing its strong position as a leader in the field of Internet search, and competing companies are suing Google and their partners, as this giant company is increasingly expanding into markets where it is already competitive.

This premium VPN gives free 17+ GB of bandwidth per month!

As you surf the internet your location is available on every site you visit. Basically, every site you visit knows your IP address, location, region, country . .. and much more. You don't believe it? Just look at this link and you will see your details: https://www.find-ip.net/ip-script If you don't already use a VPN, you can see your IP address, country, city, and region in the box above. Worrying?

Speccy - Get to know your computer in detail

The average user usually only knows what the CPU speed is, how much RAM it has, what the label is on the graphics card, and how much the HDD is… But he doesn't know some perhaps more important details. Speccy is a program that will reveal these details and you will have a complete insight into all the components that are inside your machine.

Look at historical objects in three dimensions

Google has launched a new Cultural Institute service where you can view some 3-dimensional historical objects on your computer in your favorite web browser. The items are detailed and you can enlarge them to see even the smallest parts. Of course, they are not perfect, there are some irregularities somewhere, but they were not noticed.